CLEAN YOUR BOAT before taking it to a pool session!
RMK Indoor Winter Roll Classes
When: 7:00 to 9:00pm, Wednesdays from January 11 through March 21, 2012
Location: Saint Vincent University, Latrobe PA. (7 miles east of Greensburg, PA)
More Info: http://www.rockymountainkayaks.com/lessons/
Starts January 12, 2011!
…Class Dates (1/11,1/25, 2/1, 2/8, 2/15, 2/22, 2/29, 3/7, 3/14 & 3/21)
18 participants are needed to make pool reservations and to make this class cost effective.
Please sign-up early!
Program cost is $50.00. Boats and gear will be available for rental at $50.00 for the entire 10 sessions and includes a beginners’ river trip on Loyalhanna Creek in March. If space is available, walk-ons will be accepted at a flat rate of $6.00 per session.
We stop after each class at a local restaurant/bar for food and beverages and talk about paddling in general. This is a great way to meet new friends and get introduced to the sport of kayaking.
1. Jeff Prycl, Lead Instructor with 20+ plus years teaching kayaking
2. Roy Bartoo
3. Jeff Macklin
4. Carolyn DeVenney
5. Tom Rapp
6. …and others who donate their time to teach you how to paddle
Slippery Rock University
Information available at: http://www.sru.edu/studentlife/campusrec/Pages/Program-KayakRollClinics.aspx
All you have to do is show up, and pay the 8 dollars. No need for reservations. They have boats, paddles, etc.
The university supply of spray-skirts is dwindling rapidly due to the effects of chlorine from the pool. I believe there are only 3 or 4 functioning ones left. I use the term functioning loosely. If you are planning on using university equipment, you may wish to bring along a spray-skirt.
Jewish Community Center of Greater Pittsburgh
South Hills, 345 Kane Blvd, Pittsburgh, PA 15243.
Tuesdays from 7:30pm-9:00pm.
Cost: $10 per person, per night. Pool time is available for ages 12 & up.
You must provide your own kayak.
Please make sure your boat and equipment are clean!
Earleen Birkner at ebirkner[at symbol]jccpgh[period]org or Shawn McClure at smcclure[at symbol]jccpgh[period]org
Phone: 412-278-1975, Ext. 216.
Wheeling Jesuit University
Starting Sunday, January 22, 2012.
While there is no formal plan (at this time) for students of WJU to train with us, we will approach this year’s sessions with the goal of teaching any and all students that wish to learn about kayaking and rolling.
Important details about the sessions:
1. The price will remain at $25 for the entire pool season or $5 per session a la cart. This fee will be used mainly to cover the cost of the life guard on duty.
2. Please bring your signed risk release form to the first session with you – see attached form below.
3. The swim coach insists that we enter and leave from the side door of the pool – patio area rather than the front double doors.
Please adhere to this as we may be asked to stop these sessions if this rule is not followed.
4. Be aware that you will need to walk through the grass to get to the side pool door – to the left of the main entrance doors.
Please be careful not to allow any more dirt onto the pool deck than at all necessary.
5. Please get in your boats after they are in the pool, i.e. no seal launch from the deck as this may damage the deck tile.
6. We will be given storage space to keep our kayaks if you like. I have been doing this and it makes for a much easier time of getting in and out.
Where: Wheeling Jesuit University Pool. Alma Grace McDonough Center http://www.wju.edu/
Drop boats near the main entrance as needed but park ASAP.
We are asked to carry to the back deck door – this is to the left of the main entrance.
Be sure your equipment is clean. Stage on the pool deck, then get ready in the locker rooms.
Day / Time: Sunday evenings – 6 PM to 8:30 PM (wrap up by 8:30 PM to allow time to reset pool)
Starting: Sunday, January 22, 2012;
Sessions: Jan 22, 29, Feb 5 (super bowl), 12, 19, 26 ; Mar 11, 18, 25; Apr 1
Ten (10) sessions total
Date changes subject to occur – there will be some paddling in March / April with the students.
Plan to assist with a river run or two.
WJU Spring Break starts Friday 3/2 back on 3/11; Easter Break 4/5 -4/9
Cost / Funds: $25 for the season or $5 per session if you can’t commit to the entire season.
That only an average of about $2.50 per session if you attend all!
Format: Informal one on one instruction. Practice all your skills then seek out those needing help.
Contact: Art Bertol W 304-527-4855 e-mail: artb[at symbol]wheeling-nisshin[period]com
Dec 11th by Greenwald